Thanks for stopping by the blog today. I trust you’re doing great. Today’s blog post is quite sensitive and different from the ‘usual’ so…Enjoy!
Life is in phases and with each phase come challenges. Depression comes in when we allow these challenges overwhelm us. See, no challenge is insurmountable and mistakes are inevitable. Don’t beat yourself up over what’s happened. Life is short, I know that, but there’s still ample time to do what’s right!
A couple of weeks after my birthday, there were so many events that took place in my life all at once and it had me swimming in a pool of depression (thankful I didn’t drown in it) I’m not oblivious of the fact that people are going through tough times (this economy is more than enough hard time lol) however, there’s always a way out. A solution. A cure. A remedy. A therapy. Call it what you may.
So if you are depressed or you think that you are or about to, I’d be sharing symptoms then tips on how to come out of it (basically, what I did)
First, here are common symptoms that show you’re depressed (I feel like a Dr. right now so please call me Dr. Anie lol)
- If you’re super sensitive to anything at all – people’s words, actions, etc. This was always the case for me. I was sensitive to so many things. I’m sure some people would have been thinking “what’s wrong with this girl sef?” . You become hot-tempered, intolerant and snap at people for no reason.
- If you cry more often. At first, you have these funny mood swings then you feel the next thing is to cry. Then you start to cry and cry and cry until you probably fall asleep or just tell yourself that’s enough crying lol. It was like a horror movie for me. I’d start to think about how messed up my life was and how perfect life was for other people. I used to compare my life with lives of others. Then cry some more…
- If you don’t have appetite for food. Hmm, for a foodie like me; it was real. There were times I just didn’t feel like eating. So I lost weight, sadly (PS: I’m on a mission to get myself fat haha)
- If you just want to stuff yourself with food. While for most people, there’s no appetite for some people, they just want to eat. And eat so much like food’s the cure.
- If you see that you’re becoming more distant. You tend to keep to yourself more often. You don’t talk as much. You don’t laugh anymore. You become afraid. You give in to fear. Most times, you ask yourself why nut there’s no answer.
- If you become less productive or lazy. You know that the elder brother of laziness is procrastination right? Haha, that’s where it always starts from. “I’d do it tomorrow”, “There’s still time na” and the many other things we tell ourselves. I really wanted to write and share stuff with you. I wished I would not procrastinate and become less productive. But I had to be in the right frame of mind. I just wanted to be Anie again, THE TALL GIRL THAT IS AWESOME.
- If crazy thoughts come to mind. Crazy thoughts of dying, running away…they’re many of them. This is why many cases of depression end on a sad note. The question is, how far can you run, really? Life goes on no matter what.
There are many other symptoms. Some I might have forgotten to add, some you may notice and the ones that go unnoticed.
Next, I’d be telling you how I overcame. Yes. How I overcame!
Find GOD. This is the first and most important step. You might have lost Him in a bid to clean up the mess and just get your life back together. My darlings, God is our source. He’s our source of joy, happiness, peace and every wonderful gift. Draw near to Him, read His word and pray. Invite Him to dwell in you. Acknowledge that you’d be nothing without him (like the potter and the clay?). Yield totally to God. That’s just all it takes. You don’t have to do more. Once you have found Him, everything falls in place.
Keep CALM. I like the keep calm memes like these ones… but there’s more behind those words. To overcome depression, all you need to do is to keep calm. You cannot control everything. Most situations are just too tough, you cannot handle them. Give yourself time. Be still. Keep calm. You may worsen the situation whilst trying to save the day. All is well that ends well 🙂
Surround yourself with FRIENDS and FAMILY. Believe me when I tell you that love heals. The moment I realized I was depressed, I ran home. I just needed a change of environment, somewhere with plenty of love and warmth. This worked. Invite friends over or if you can hang out with them, do so. It does help.
Music!! You know that thing they say about music? That music is LIFE? Yas, listen to good music, music that cleanses the soul and inspires. Sometimes music is the only thing that get your mind off of everything else. For me, gospel music works and that was what I did. I listened to Israel Houghton’s ‘Jesus at the center’, Tasha Cobb’s ‘Happy’ too. Also, I gave myself to praising GOD. It is always a soul uplifting exercise for me.
LAUGH OUT LOUD!! Those who know me, know that I love to laugh (I’m laughing right now LOL). Laughter is the medicine of the soul. Hang out with funny people, let them make you literally crack your ribs with laughter LOL. I saw an ad that read “A smile never goes out of fashion, wear it” and I totally agree. If you’re not laughing, you should be smiling 😀
Stay HAPPY! I’m sure someone in Nigeria reading this is like “when the price of fuel and foodstuff in Nigeria is skyrocketing everyday, i should stay happy abi?” or even saying “e be like say you never hear say dollar don go up abi?” LOL. I’d tell you to still be happy. Your trust should be in God that come what may, you’re safe and secure. I’d refer you to Luke 12: 22-28, that’s where I find my confidence. So you see why you should stay happy?
Talk to someone if you can. A problem shared is one that’s half-solved so why keep it to yourself anyway? If you have any fears or worries, talk about it with someone you trust. Don’t forget that not every person is worthy to be told your secrets or issues. When you talk about it, you’d see that you feel as though a burden has been lifted.
I pray for you who’s reading this that God will take away whatever is causing you pain and sorrow and restore with peace and joy unspeakable in Jesus name. Amen.
Lest I forget when I’m going through tough times, I always like tight big hugs. So from me to you, here’s one 🙂
Thank you so much for reading. I would love to know your thoughts and criticisms so please feel free to share them in the comments section, don’t be shy. Don’t forget to share this too 😀
Peace and love,